Wednesday, November 9, 2011

you don't need to speak french to go to paris

I'm living proof of this blog title! When we left on the train to go to Paris I literally knew bonjour, merci, au revoir, and excusez-moi. ( I learned that last little gem compliments of 2nd grade.) People sort of condescendingly told me I'd have a rough week ahead of me in Paris, but I told them I didn't intend to speak very much. Then they told me I would at least have to order food (I can mimic something written, duh), and I told them that that's why I have fingers. Pointing is great. 


Paris is a very fabulous place but it is also dangerous and dirty and sometimes sketchy. Especially in the Sacre Coer area of town. Mobs of 30 year old african men that call you baby/sexy/lady gaga and hold out a loop of string so they can tie it to your finger and then they won't give it back until you give them money. not appreciated. 


there were also many other sketch happenings that occurred to girls in my program on the metro. but we were also groups of girls. one of the girls here had her fiance with her and they pretty much had no problems at all. realizing that you're a target for pick-pocketing and all kinds of other bad crap is really a disturbing feeling. 


i just say that because i don't like when people over romanticize places. there is a lot of bad about paris, but there is so much good, as well! it's so beautiful, and the french people were really very kind and patient with us idiots that spoke no french. i made myself look considerably stupid more times than i can count by my ignorance, but it serves me right. chalk it up to experience and next time i go i will be more prepared! and my french vocab is now booming! (maybe that's a slight/gross exaggeration.)


Versailles is so beautiful in the fall!

 We ARE the Eiffel Tower

 Do we look like zombies?

 Spying on Louvre goers is the bext

One of my favorite places

It's even more beautiful than it looks

Did I mention that I was a Ninja Turtle (Raphael, to be exact) for Halloween???

tee hee!!

Next up: More Paris pics and my trip to the beach!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment